Monday, June 29, 2009

6.29.09 Baked Mac 'N Cheese







Worst. Blogger. Ever. I'm sorry! I'm sorry! My last blog post was over a month and a half ago. Things here on Rosemary Avenue have been extra crazy lately (see above pictures)! I do have a couple updates though and I am going to post what I made for dinner tonight. My first update is concerning our garden! The verdict is in: I LOVE OUR VEGETABLE GARDEN! I love going out to the yard to water (almost) every day and seeing the progress. Jeff and I haven't bought lettuce or basil in over a month thanks to our garden and now we are getting in a good amount of snow peas. They are so delicious! Hmm- in the past week, I have baked two cakes (frosting from scratch...delicious and a tad healthier) and made Jeff alligator cupcakes for his 31st birthday.






Here is the Baked Mac 'N Cheese recipe from Vegetarian Times. Unlike other recipes, I hardly change any of the ingredients because it is already healthy and so yummy. Serve with a side of carrot sticks. I forgot to take a picture before we ate it, we must have been hungry!






1 TBS. Unsalted butter



2 TBS all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour)



1 tbs onion powder (I liked to use fresh chopped onions)



2 tbs. garlic power (use fresh garlic, its just delicious)



2 cups skim milk (I use soy milk)



1/2 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese



2 tbs. grated parmesan cheese (if I'm feeling crazy, I'll use 3 tbs.)



1/2 lb (2 cups) cooked elbow macaroni (I use organic whole wheat penne noodles. It will up the nutritional value and make you feel full for longer)



1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs



(a pinch of basil)



(a little shake of red pepper flakes)



(fresh ground black pepper)



(maybe a dash of salt, or seasoned salt)






1. Preheat overn to 350. Coat 6-cup baking dish with cooking spray. (Jeff and I like the crispy over cooked noodles on the bottom of the dish, so I coat the baking dish with organic olive oil spray). Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, onion, and garlic, and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly (I can't find my whisk anywhere! argh.). Slowly whisk (argh. again.) in milk. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring sauce to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.



2. Remove from heat, and stir in cheddar and parmesan. Season with salt, pepper, basil, red pepper flakes, etc, if desired. Stir in macaroni. Transwer to prepared baking dish, and top with breadcrumbs. Bake 30 minutes until top begins to brown.






Delicious! Quick, easy, healthy, yummy.






Per 1 cup serving: 260 cal, 12 g protein, 6 g fat, 42 g carb.






No comments:

Post a Comment